Friday, February 19, 2016

Digital Inequality

It's interesting to think of the way that access to content and technology affects and is affected by the kinds of things mentioned in the chapter:  Literacy and Capital, Social Class, and Age.  Region is also mentioned, but not a lot about that is said (but I think it's a sensitive issue here in South Dakota).

I'm not sure what happened to make my own experience--coming out of a very poor social class with little social capital or cultural capital.  We had a big heavy set of encyclopedias!  Maybe that did it.  Ha!  I did read in it some, but not a lot.

We had one of the first Pong games at home in the '70s, but I didn't play it much before going on to the Army.  I learned to type.  That was a thing that many people from my time and place didn't do or continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment