Tuesday, February 1, 2011

ENM at the Movies

My poll from yesterday shows that only one of us has seen two of the Oscar-nominated movies in the best film category.  "Winter's Bone" and "The Kids are All Right" got only one viewer in the class, and "The King's Speech" and "127 Hours" got none.  Of course, the latter film has only just opened, so most of us haven't had a chance to see it.  But "The King's Speech" opened on December 10, 2010, almost two months ago.  The most watched film is probably also the most hyped (and with the most special-effects)--"Inception," with 6 of 9 voters having seen it.  Other popular films include "Toy Story 3," which is not just for the kids, and "True Grit," which is a truly adult offering, with each getting five votes.

As consumers of media in all forms, and as media analysts and producers, it's worthwhile to consider why "The Social Network" hasn't had more viewers in the class.  What might explain the lack of enthusiasm for seeing the movie about the creation of a phenomenon that has changed the way people interact?

6 comments:

  1. I think the lack of enthusiasm of seeing the movie "The Social Network" is because of the fact that its cant be that interesting and that they made a regular situation into a movie so you know there's a lot of story telling instead of true facts. Where as watching "Inception" its a full story none of it can be true. So people are watching that type of movie to get way from real life situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally, I'm not sure I'm following you when you compare "story telling instead of true facts." What's the difference? Do you mean to suggest that a real story is less interesting? I wondered whether fans of Facebook might not like to see the creator of the software depicted badly (as the previews seem to indicate).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to see The King's Speech, but the Brookings theater (where I see all my movies) has been delaying to show it. They also haven't shown 127 Hours. They're finally getting it next weekend, so I'll see it then. Often, Brookings delays interesting looking movies like True Grit (I found it to be disappointing) and Black Swan (very good, but very weird) in favor of keeping a bad looking movie for six weeks. I suppose it's due to the almighty dollar.

    I found The Social Network to be a terrific movie. It was surprisingly well-paced and they made Zuckerberg kind of sympathetic at the end. Of course, I'm not the world's biggest fan of Facebook. Sometimes I wish I could get away from it, but then I'd feel cut off from the local world.

    Overall, I'd rate The Social Network second, fighting with Black Swan, on my personal Best Picture list, behind The Fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To clarify, I mean the Brookings theater is finally showing The King's Speech. I suppose I'll just have to see 127 Hours either through Netflix or Redbox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may watch The King's Speech after it comes out on video, but I like to try and see the Best Picture nominees before the Oscars. It's one of the films that doesn't seem to require the big screen, but 127 Hours begs me to get to the theater. I'd like to see both. I don't know anything about the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really looking forward to watching the Social Network when it's finally released on netflix on 2/8. I prefer watching movies from the comfort of my home. Or maybe it's that I'm cheap :) I've seen Winter's Bone and The Kids Are All right because they've already come out on video. Really want to see Black Swan, True Grit and King's speech, maybe I'll splurge. I've 'saved' all the movies you have listed to my netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete